[ubuntu-art] What are we working towards?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Nov 12 19:37:38 GMT 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 5:10 PM, Who <mailforwho at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> It's really cool to see this list alive again with so many ideas and
> discussions - some of the stuff  looks really sweet, I wish I had more
> time to contribute (though I think the standard's getting well beyond
> me!).

Who, its excellent to hear from you again! I'd love to see your work if and
when you get a chance to contribute again. You're one of the few who has
successfully compiled a complete theme, which automatically puts you among
the elite on this team, and more so that the theme looks beautiful. :-)

Your questions are all excellent and I look forward to hearing the answers
to them myself. It just so happens that I was with Ken last week and can
answer a *tiny* portion:

2. Who will decide what work will make the cut and what will not. If
> we ARE designing for the default theme then how will we decide when to
> stop brainstorming and settling on ONE of the ideas to hone (see 2.2).
> How can we ensure we are producing work that IS going to be accepted?
> There are a few important aspects to this

This is an excellent question. Ken and I talked about this and the answer
has an impact far outside of the art-team. Therefore it is important that we
work on the same schedule as the release team. This means, and Ken has said
he can work with this, Beta needs to be considered the date that all
decisions have been made and the art is *done* and *on the CD.* During the
beta process it is very likely that we will become aware of a minor change
or two needed to achieve perfection, which we will of course address in the
days immediately following beta.

This allows the rest of the community to work on documentation, marketing
materials and etc.

I think its a good idea to treat each Alpha release as a major milestone and
ensure that we're ready ahead of time in order to get our work onto the test
CDs. This is *my* opinion and I could easily be swayed by a reasonable
objection.

--2.1 How will we get the people who will be making FINAL decisions
> about the work involved _at crucial points in the process_ well before
> the end .
>

> --2.4 Who is in charge of what in the team/calling which shots? kwwii,
> I guess is the head here? Is there going to be a hierarchy?

Whatever the correct answer to this is, always remember that when it comes
to Ubuntu, if Mark's not happy, no one's happy.

3. How are we distributing and packaging the work? We should be doing
> this throughout the process so we can see how it is working - to avoid
> last minute rushes on packaging. My understanding is that Launchpad
> has very good facilities for making this 'JustWork' - are enough
> people familiar with them now?

I also met with Daniel Holbach last week so that he could teach me how to
package artwork. This is apparently a lost art. I've successfully created a
package of wallpapers, which is the equivalent of "Hello World!" in
packaging. I'm moving on to creating theme packages, which I've started and
need to get a little assistance on.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode