[ubuntu-art] hardy gtk theme

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Wed Nov 7 16:44:28 GMT 2007

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> On 07/11/2007, *Andreas Nilsson* <nisses.mail at home.se
> <mailto:nisses.mail at home.se>> wrote:
>
>     Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>     > On 07/11/2007, *Troy James Sobotka* <troy.sobotka at gmail.com
>     <mailto:troy.sobotka at gmail.com>
>
>     >
>     > I somewhat agree with you. I think Tango is great, but I don't think
>     > that it is "Ubuntuish" in any way.
>     Hi Mikkel!
>

> Hi Andreas! :-)
>
> I guess the elegance I am looking for is something like (this goes for
> both icons+gtk+metacity):
>
>  * Touch of realism (not naturalism)
>  * Simplicity
>  * Minimal number of distinct features, both on a per-icon level and
> the desktop as a whole
>  * Something that you will instantly recognize as Ubuntu
>
> Where I feel Tango takes another direction is specifically in points 1
> and 4.
Give me some time and I'll do some experiments and see what I can come
up with.
Ideally it would be great to have something that looked very
distinctive, but didn't stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the
desktop.
> I just want to throw in a frequently found thing in mockups around the
> web. Monochrome notification icons. Like the ones I attached. I think
> it is a great way to reduce the visual clutter. Perhaps we could use
> it even more extensively than that - maybe replace a some of the "less
> important icons" throughout the desktop with monochrome versions. That
> could be alternative solution instead to disabling all icons in menus.
I think this is a cool idea and it was something that Lasse, Kenneth and
myself discussed last week as well.
We need a good solution on how to handle Pidgin status in monochrome
though. mpt was going to show me how Adium solved it, but we ran out of
time. :/
We also need a good technical solution on how to solve this. Should the
notification area pick up it's own set of icons? Or if we just replace
them in our theme, how do we solve it for banshee/rhythmbox that tends
to just stick their app icon in the notification area (and yes, that is
kind of a ugly behavior)?

- Andreas