[ubuntu-art] hardy gtk theme

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:01:30 GMT 2007

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> I'm not sure what kind of elegance you are looking for,

I don't believe it is a far stretch to suggest that a notion
of elegant is probably rooted in notions that we dug up from
the Art Nouveau and Art Deco eras.  Typified by curving line
work, delicate lines, and like details.

> but a good point
> for giving a tango-styled icon theme a shot is that is what GNOME
> upstream is using and a whole bunch of 3rd party developers. [1]. I
> haven't seen another style for GNOME with the same coverage yet. I think
> it would be really cool if we could start focusing on the final focus on
> the remaining bits instead of the 12-14 base icons over and over again.

As much as I completely respect the Tango project and all that it
has done for GNOME, I would still question the destination.  If we
end up with a fully Tango'd desktop, I would wonder if that could
be considered 'bliss'.  Even with 100% coverage, I believe aesthetically
it is not an ideal route -- and certainly not an ideal route for
a culture that should probably be priding itself on diversity.
Consistency for consistency's sake shouldn't be a goal unto itself.

> Mike Beltzner recently pointed out that the interface unpredictability
> was the reasoning behind giving Firefox 3 the Vista look on Linux. We're
> working that issue out with them though.

Probably the greatest point raised.  That said, having a Tango'd Firefox
is no better in my mind than having the application maintain a distinct
styling if it is solid.  In Mozilla's case, their work is quite tight.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> 4) The uniform Metacity to GTK Patel window is top shelf, even if a bit
>    OSX.  Another +1 from me.
>
> What image are you refering to here?

The manner in which the top window border is indistinguishable between
the lower interface box.

> 6) Glossy is done like dinner.  It is completely mooky to keep following
>    that path, as it was way back in Edgy.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand that sentence. Are you for or againt gloss?

Against.  Certainly not a trend to follow into the future.

Sincerely,
TJS