[ubuntu-art] hardy gtk theme

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:01:59 GMT 2007

On 07/11/2007, Troy James Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> 2) The heavy Crayola outlining of all buttons / tabs / etc. is
>    completely counter any notion of elegance or grace.  It is perhaps
>    the weakest element of Tango, and it simply makes work look
>    bold and clunky.  Assuming a general audience, we can assume that
>    they can find a button with a fine line.  Please let the caustic
>    outlines of Clearlooks / Tango / et al die.  It is just weak.

I somewhat agree with you. I think Tango is great, but I don't think that it
is "Ubuntuish" in any way.

3) The radius of Patel's buttons is a lovely compliment of both
>    subtlety and other features is wonderful.  The subtlety of the
>    linework is something to aim for.  Even the buttons could use
>    some lightening on the lines.  Metacity 2.0 can even do the windows
>    to a similar radii, but the antialiasing makes it rather clunky
>    looking.  We would need to resolve this to go with that lovely
>    radius on the windows.

There is some elegance in the Oxygen screenshot Günther posted here (mostly
the top one)
http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/2007/11/decisionsdecisionsdecisions-so-many.html

I do not feel ashamed of being inspired by other artists. Both oxygen and
openmoko contains some good stuff I think we should let us inspire by. We
can still move in an original direction if the original inspiration was
found in other work.

4) The uniform Metacity to GTK Patel window is top shelf, even if a bit
>    OSX.  Another +1 from me.

What  image are you refering to here?

5) I dare say that I disagree with the esteemed MacSlow on the point of
>    differing radii on the various controls.  Contrast is a wonderful
>    thing.  And god knows we have lived long enough in the monochromatic
>    Ubuntu world.

+1 Visual contrast of forms is a way to make the widgets more distinct.
Doing it too much results in visual clutter -- needles to say.

6) Glossy is done like dinner.  It is completely mooky to keep following
>    that path, as it was way back in Edgy.

Sorry, but I don't understand that sentence. Are you for or againt gloss?
:-)

Back to work, cheers
Mikkel