[ubuntu-art] Hardy GTK Theme

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:10:12 GMT 2007

A first-run theme changer would also feel rather unoriginal, and an app that
ultimately achieves very little. I am working on such an Ubuntu Tour
application right now, and changing the theme is easily incorporated as one
of the many things it does. However, much more important is actually showing
the user around the Ubuntu desktop, and providing more immediately useful
preferences such as accessibility options. When / if this ever gets done and
I need to document the page creation process, it will be a very important
rule that customization options, unless urgently necessary, should not be
tacked on but blended seamlessly with demonstrations. The goal with my
attempt is for the desktop to become easily accessible for the vision and
motion impaired within 3 steps after logging in, and for those options to
not ever bother people who don't need them.

A problem that type of theme changer (and only theme changer) app brings
along is psychological. If the OS is immediately suggesting that one change
his theme (in such away that it is more important than even being shown the
OS!), that suggests that the default theme has not been tailored to appeal
to the majority of uses, so a convoluted compromise has been hit instead.
Rather misleading..

Bye,
-Dylan McCall