[ubuntu-art] Hardy GTK Theme

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Nov 2 14:27:32 GMT 2007

On 11/2/07, Jacob Padilla <jacob.padilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/light_text_on_dark_background_vs_readability/
>
> I've read before about the poor accessibility of light text on dark
> background so I'm not really sure it's a good choice for a default theme. I,
> personally, think it looks cool and trendy but that doesn't make it a good
> decision for a default setting on a product with such a wide release.

I agree.

As far as Aurora goes, it looks nice but if it's a resource hog then it too
> shouldn't be a default. If it's a resource hog then you have to ask
> yourself, "Why is it hogging resources? Is it calling a lot of different
> modules or something?" I guess what I'm trying to say is that with more
> bloat comes more bugs.

Let me play the devil's advocate and point out that with 7.10 the system
requirements changed requiring a minimum of 384M of RAM + whatever is needed
by the video card if that applies to you. Hardy will be around for quite a
while and will be the platform future versions. I think its OK if we switch
to a theme that requires more horse power. (IMHO)

Now that being said, Hardy will be supported for 3 years, twice the length
of 7.10... we don't want to choose something that in 14mo will be abandon
ware. (though by merit of being included as the default in Ubuntu, a project
will automatically gain wide notoriety) I think the time to make major
changes was with the 7.04 and 7.10 releases and maybe instead of changing
the theme engine for Hardy we should work on polishing what we're already
using.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode