[ubuntu-art] Human iconset is incomplete and inconsistent

Alexander van Loon svloon at xs4all.nl
Sun May 13 11:31:25 BST 2007

Hello all,

I see this has already been raised before -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2007-February/003795.html -
but I'd like to ask some more questions.

So far the Human iconset is not complete, so it is mixed with icons from
the GNOME/Tango/Tangerine iconsets which adhere to the Tango icon theme
guidelines - http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines -
while the Human iconset does not adhere to these guidelines. This means
that there is no consistency between the different iconsets, and I think
that there is no consistency between the icons inside the Human iconset

As was already said before, creating a good and complete iconset takes a
long time. Because the Human icons still aren't completed, why even
bother? Isn't the Tangerine iconset, which is a modification of the
Tango iconset with some "Ubuntufication" like more orange colors, enough
to create a different identity/branding for Ubuntu? Tangerine already
builds on the far more complete Tango icon set and it's guidelines which
has more drive behind it than the Human iconset.

Besides that, is there anyone who prefers the Human iconset over
Tangerine? The Human icons don't look professional at all, it looks
blurry and ugly. From what I understand from previous posts on the
mailing list, the only reason the Human iconset was created because
sabdfl/Mark Shuttleworth likes them.

Of course Mark Shuttleworth is Ubuntu's founder, it's his distro so he
decides, and I don't want to say that he has a bad taste. But I'd like
to ask Mark Shuttleworth to reconsider the choice of the default
iconset. Not based on my personal opinion of how I don't like the Human
iconset, but based on the argument of inconsistency, the greater support
for the Tango icon theme guidelines, and the greater completeness of the
Tango/GNOME iconsets.

I also have some suggestions concerning the default GTK theme of Ubuntu.
I like all the orange and such, I like the Metaciy theme, but the GTK
theme has a rather boring gray color.

Possibly, could some brighter sort of grey color be used? Or possibly a
more beige/brown color, like in the Gilouche theme -
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=46881 - or a more
"Ubuntutified" light orange color -
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=44030 - like in this
theme? I think that especially the Gilouche theme (which is used by
Novell's distro's) is a lot more attractive than the plain, boring, dull
gray while it still looks formal. Why stick with the current color of
grey used in the default GTK theme?

Last question, why is the Ubuntulooks engine still used? According to
the website of the Murrine theme engine -
http://cimi.netsons.org/pages/murrine.php - "The Engine is cairo-based,
and it's very fast compared to clearlooks-cairo and ubuntulooks (30%
faster and more), since I have tried to optimize the code and removed a
lot of slow gradients to provide this unique style". Given it's extra
features and speed advantage, why not use this theme engine instead of

Alexander van Loon