[ubuntu-art] Human iconset is incomplete and inconsistent

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 04:42:07 BST 2007

Alexander van Loon wrote:
> 1. The Human iconset is not complete, less complete than Tango for
> example.
> 2. Currently the Tango/GNOME and Human iconset are being mixed.
> 3. There are no style guidelines or color palette for the Human
> iconset.
>
> Because of #2 there is inconsistency. As a likely consequence of #3,
> because of the missing style guidelines and color palette, the icons
> which are part of the set are probably not as consistent than in the
> case they were not missing.

Spot on.  Completely agree with you on both counts.  Lack of a palette
is a hideous misstep.  Lack of design guidelines a second.  Mixing Human
and Tango also feels quite like mixing oil and water.  And that is
without involving the more subjective realm of aesthetics into the mixture.

> My question is then, does the Ubuntu (Art) development team and sabdfl
> see these three facts as problems?

Obviously across six releases it is very clearly not an issue, as
unfortunate at that may seem.

> If so, will something be done to
> solve these problems?

I suspect not.  The problem is far more systemic than the simple
addressing of an icon set.

It appears that Ubuntu's idea of 'consistency' is a far cry from the
German Gesamtkunstwerk of the 19th century.  Loosely, the term refers to
the 'complete-art-work' as a whole, rather than discreet components.

When viewing the 'total design' of Ubuntu, after six complete
incarnations spanning over three years, it still resembles a limping
three legged dog bred with an alligator after a night of debauchery.

It is clearly not an issue nor a concern.

That said, I have significant doubts that flipping to Tango would solve
much.  We would still have to negotiate the Tango icon set against the
other design elements.  Ultimately, it is probably up to an adept
individual or team of individuals to present viable options to the end
users.

Sincerely,
TJS

PS:  Kudos on your intelligent citing of concrete elements in a
reasonable and logical manner.