[ubuntu-art] bringing good things to life

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 16:25:40 GMT 2007

2007/1/4, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>:
> OK, I've been a part of the art-team since the very beginning. We started
> out by being a bunch of people who liked art and wanted to help the Ubuntu
> community in some way... some by contributing web graphics (powered by
> ubuntu, etc), some by creating wall papers, others by creating themes, and
> yet others by simply giving feedback and encouragement.
>
> Then, we had a drive to make the art-team productive... instead of just
> being a community of artists and enthusiasts we became driven to produce
> something. Make specs, complete specs, etc. That's not bad, but its starting
> to feel like the team is burned out and it appears that activity has
> plummeted.
>
> While we struggle to regain our identity and get back on track to produce
> something, lets distract ourselves a bit and return to our roots. Let's just
> do art for fun again for a while.
>
> Here's my suggestion. But first, some people know that I have a
> canonical.com email address... I am not using that address because I am
> speaking as a fellow art-team member. This is just my own personal
> hair-brained idea, not that of my employer.
>
> Many people participate and contribute to the Ubuntu community by creating
> packages that get into Universe. Now, while it's really exciting to have
> packages in main, it's still cool to be in Universe and a lot of people use
> it.
>
> My suggestion is that we create a package called art-team-edgy (or
> art-team-feisty) and elect an "artist in chief" (aic) for a release. The
> team, lead by the aic, will choose a palette and a few guidelines and then
> engage the community to create a desktop artwork package that meets the
> guidelines. To complement the package we would also have
> art-team-edgy-calendar (or whatever) that would have a new background
> monthly until the next release and then continuing on as long as that
> release's aic gets contributions.
>
> I'm not suggesting a coup, I'm just suggesting something to make
> contributing art fun. Maybe our process will get good enough so that one day
> we could get art-team-* into main, but again, by not making that the
> immediate goal it gives us a lot of freedom. It also gives a lot of artists
> the opportunity to contribute, since new backgrounds will be out monthly.
>
> The aic would be elected by the team and would be the person to make the
> final decision for art during that release. The team would vote and cast
> opinions, but it would be the tabdfr (team appointed benevolent dictator for
> release) who gets to take the votes into consideration and make the final
> call - note that this is different than a democracy, the only democratic
> part is who the aic is. This is just a suggestion, I'll leave it to the team
> to decide how the role should work if we decide to do this, but my $0.02
> worth is that without a leader to make a final, potentially difficult
> decision, some important decisions will get lost in the committees.

> [...]

+1 for a reboot :-)

I say - let open the floodgates once again. Let's have a storm of what
ever people create, mockups, screenies, wallies, themes, logins,
splashes (just like the good old warty/hoary days). Find some stuff we
can agree on looks cool, and then work in that direction.

If I know in good time what my deadline will be and what general theme
and guideline to follow,  I could contribute a calender wallpaper.

Cheers,
Mikkel