[ubuntu-art] 8.04 Theme

Thomas L.G thomlie at online.no
Sun Dec 23 20:34:27 GMT 2007

Hi again.
> After looking at some of the Mockups, I SURE have to agree with this
> statement. I shurely hope Ubuntu doesn't look like Brown Vista all shiny
> and gooey looking when this is all over with!!!

Well, actually I don't like Vista's look, and I don't like Leopard's
look. But shiny CAN look good.

This is an example of a sort of Leopard/OSX-looking theme, but better
looking and less grey and dull:
 http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/for+today%2C+there+is+no+name+for+this+theme?content=72306

Or like this, with orange instead of blue:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Azur?content=57124

> Did you use Linux in the late 90's? I did - it looked like this:
>
> http://everythinglinux.org/redhat62/ss1.jpg
>
> or this:
>
> http://frodo.syminet.com/~deep/deb30g14.jpg
>
> Or even worse:
>
> http://gcm.sourceforge.net/img/GCM1_vs_GCM2.jpg
>
> (These are just some I found w/ a google image search...)

Alright, more like the early years in the beginning of the new decade...
btw I used some Red Hat version and Mandrake through those years, and
yes, it wasn't much better than in your screenshots. The point is, it
looks flat, it looks anonymous.
> I honestly can't beleive I just read that!!! Sure, let's just drag down
> everyones OS so we can say it looks pretty (that is if you call shiny
> reflective plastic looking widgets "pretty").

The goal is to attract new users. And it IS a fact that todays computers
can handle more effects that computers in 2001. I am NOT justifying what
Microsoft is doing with Vista. Their requirements for Vista are really
absurd. We don't wanna walk that street, but the requirements for todays
OS's should actually be higher than in 2001. In Gutsy Gibbons we had
Compiz Fusion as default - did people start complaining? No, because if
you have a slow computer, you can disable it. As you can change theme if
you think it decreases your performance (honestly, I can't see how some
theme could decrease performance in such a degree it would be necessary).

You have to think about what attracts the end-user, but still be able to
take care of anyone who doesn't want the new look.

- Thomas L.G