[ubuntu-art] Wallpaper

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 18:20:37 GMT 2007

One of the keys to having a "user friendly" desktop is having metaphors that
the user can relate to. For example, files, archives and folders.
It is extremely important that those same sorts of metaphors be carried by
artwork, as well. The metaphors are tied to real things instead of aspects
of the computer system, since "the real world" is a safe reference point
that we can trust the user to understand and appreciate.

With that in mind, I still think the Human idea works well as a default
theme, or, as I like to think it, a metaphor for what the desktop is as a
whole. Human, when / if it is finally perfect, means a lot of things that
have a profound impact on how warm and welcome the system is. It is not an
obtrusive theme but it suggests, when the user is listening, an easy and
understanding system that "thinks" in a way the user can relate to. I think
the relaxed nature of Linux software really works great here; the software
in Ubuntu is not all striving toward being more human; it just is! Unlike
Windows, whose unceasing torrent of dialog boxes almost sounds like
lawyer-speak, software here is generally willing to sound less professional
and more "real", mostly because the people building it are not tied to share
holders and lawyers.

The theme is an artistic message as well as a big part of usability. The
Human theme, as well as capturing many of the joys of free software, is a
very accessible theme that just feels natural to use. Its presence is not
imposing, instead being easy for people to work with, just like a very
cooperative person would be. (Although I do feel odd saying that humans are
not an imposing presence, I should stress that I think of this metaphor as
being a very unusual, generous person -- the type of person we seem to
strive towards in fantasy).
Another big part of usability is just being welcoming. If Ubuntu has a black
wallpaper with "GO AWAY" written across it in blood, it doesn't matter worth
a damn how "easy on the eyes" and efficient the theme is; It is doomed.
I agree with you that Apple has done really well with their theme. Their
theme is also similar to Human. While it is not a metaphor of humanity, Aqua
feels a lot like an appliance, and I think that was intended. An appliance
like a washing machine does one's bidding really easily but does require
mainenance, but for some reason people do not treat their computers the same
way. Having MacOS feel like an appliance has the idea of the computer
needing some care actually come across as acceptable.

Bye,
-Dylan McCall