[ubuntu-art] Wallpaper

julian julian at selectparks.net
Fri Dec 7 10:53:22 GMT 2007

..on Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:11:07PM -0800, Troy James Sobotka wrote:

> julian wrote:
> > ..on Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:30:53PM +0200, Özgür BASKIN wrote:
> >> +1 for elephant-skin picture :)
>
> > i think the cleanest themes are those that simply don't a) try to make a
> > strong artistic statement and b) don't try to bring the corporeal world
> > into the digital.
> >
> > in the end is just smells like a bad magic trick.
> >

> Think again.
>
> Your statement tends to put about 1000 years of art and design
> knowledge into the back seat, lock the door, and throw out the
> key.

not at all. computer desktops don't exist to be appreciated as a singular work
of eye-catching art. they are there to be transparent interfaces to
the underlying productivity offered by the computer. they must be easy on
the eye for sustained periods of use.

the /primary/ value of a desktop is not aesthetic, it is functional.
this, however does not disqualify them from having an ambition to be stylish.
that's a good thing and should be encouraged as a secondary design pursuit.

many, not all, of the mockups we see on this list present one window
against a lavish background artwork. this is not how desktops are actually
used or experienced, especially given the background is rarely seen during
daily use. for this reason such mockups are artificial bases for critique.

a typical desktop in use contains many windows with unique contents, icons
representing all sorts of symbolic relations to differing tasks all over the
place. the reality is desktops typically are a mess. a good theme will help
to make sense of it all.

while quite dark and a little dependent on OS\X as an aesthetic basis,
this mockup acheives what i'm talking about very well i think:

	http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2007/323/0/b/Ubuntu_Theme_Mockup___Dark_by_bradwjensen.jpg

we don't need desktops that demand to be noticed. we need desktops that look
and feel great to /use/.

> It has been proven time and time again that strong deliveries of
> art / design _will_ have a very obvious impact on both sales(1),
> adoption, and even perceived 'usability'(2).
>
> If you need further proof aside from the general award winning
> home designs, product design, or pretty much _anything_ else
> surrounding you in your everyday life, you can always go back
> to the rather standard comparisons with Apple and Microsoft.
>
> Apple's Leopard campaign is a very tight presentation from wallpaper
> to marketing to website embracing the spacey connotations of their
> "Time Machine" software -- extending even into the sound design
> of their promotional video that features a rather funky back masking
> cue.

i think you've missed the crux of my point here. as much as i think it's
unfortunate to be steered by the design directions of OS\X - and as much
as i dislike Aqua in general - i do think Apple has achieved some level of
harmony between functionality and design, such that neither speaks over
the other.

that is a rare and holy grail but one that is within reach of the scope of
talent in and around the Ubuntu community.

i think it's wise to stop making 'art' and start looking at clever design
strategies.

cheers,

--
julian oliver