[ubuntu-art] New Theme

Chris5976 maverick5976 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:18:39 BST 2007

Steph <orkerone <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everybody, first thing I'll ask is to forgive my English, I'm French.It
has been said on the french forum that Ubuntu was actually very ugly. Go to
your friends's houses, boot on the Live CD and you'll see most of them
saying "creepy ! I'll keep Vista !". And we have to admit that the only good
thing in Vista is the Aero interface. No need to talk about OSX, it has always
been quite beautiful, and no wonder why the most downloaded themes on
> Gnome-Look.org are some OSX look-alike ones.Now check Ubuntu's default
themes. Human and Glossy are correct, other ones are really old and ugly. On
the seven themes integrated, two looks correct, but still old, and the other
ones are just as beautiful as Win95. Why can't we add a few modern themes ?
Just one or two, that could replace the Crux or Glider themes (have a look).
> See, Ubuntu aims to be a distro for everyone. Mr Everyone is not stupid, but
still he's often a n00b :D . So the thing he's gonna look first is design. How
to convince Mr Everyone Ubuntu's a great OS ? By showing him a nice design,
something that looks clear, simple and efficace. Then everything will "Just
Work" and all this on a nice theme :).
> Now, the solutions. If everyone agrees of course. I've talked a little with
Brian Ward (author of this nice orb :
http://www.brianward.us/myspace/public/ubuntu-orb.png
>  :) and agreeing to what I just said, we told that creating a totally new
theme would be some really hard work, and with the tons of themes available on
Gnome-look.org, would be time wasted. So what we thought was to make a
selection of the best themes on
> Gnome-look.org (Aero and OSX-like excluded of course), then try to mix
everything in a new, fresh, modern themes.Who wanna join ? :)

French.<br><br>It has been said on the french forum that Ubuntu was actually
very ugly. Go to your friends's houses, boot on the Live CD and you'll see most
of them saying "creepy ! I'll keep Vista !". And we have to admit that the only
good thing in Vista is the Aero interface. No need to talk about OSX, it has
always been quite beautiful, and no wonder why the most downloaded themes on
> Gnome-Look.org are some OSX look-alike ones.<br><br>Now check Ubuntu's
default themes. Human and Glossy are correct, other ones are really old and
ugly. On the seven themes integrated, two looks correct, but still old, and the
other ones are just as beautiful as Win95. Why can't we add a few modern
themes ? Just one or two, that could replace the Crux or Glider themes (have a
look).
stupid, but still he's often a n00b :D . So the thing he's gonna look first is
design. How to convince Mr Everyone Ubuntu's a great OS ? By showing him a nice
design, something that looks clear, simple and efficace. Then everything
will "Just Work" and all this on a nice theme :).
little with Brian Ward (author of this nice orb : <a
href="http://www.brianward.us/myspace/public/ubuntu-
orb.png">http://www.brianward.us/myspace/public/ubuntu-orb.png
> </a> :) and agreeing to what I just said, we told that creating a totally new
theme would be some really hard work, and with the tons of themes available on
what we thought was to make a selection of the best themes on
excluded of course), then try to mix everything in a new, fresh, modern

Hello Steph,

It would be a pleasure for me to work with you and propose a new good looking
theme for Ubuntu. But i know how to make it (the design) but i dont know how to
make it compatible for ubuntu...may be it exist a TDK...(Theme Developpement
Kit).

I am also french so it will be simple to communicate, i work with photoshop,
artrage and blender.

Regards

Chris