[ubuntu-art] Edgy GDM: Evolution from CurrentDefault

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 10:38:11 BST 2006

Jesse Schalken wrote:
> Wow, beautiful!

Agreed!

>         I love Who_GDM_015.png. The whole thing contains the bright rich
>         caramels and the glossy black logo text that I love and the
>         username/password, session and options are drawn into the one
>         convenient and cohesive unit!

I like it, but prefer number 11. The gamma (as I believe it's called)
seems lower, and everything's not almost blanked out by the brightness.

>         I have to say that I prefer the logo and text be kept on the
>         outside of the login box as in this GDM, it's not really
>         something that should be contained in a box. To me, having it
>         inside says 'only this box is Ubuntu' but having it outside says
>         'the whole world is Ubuntu'! :D

Definately, I don't really like having the box there. Simplicity is key,
no, for Ubuntu?

>         I also prefer having the logo and text on the same line as in
>         this GDM. It seems to balance things more in both dimensions and
>         is also how you would most commonly see the logo and text
>         arranged. Having the logo above the text sorta makes it look
>         like a stack of stuff (of books! :o), but then again it also
>         makes all the elements of the work centered and unified, which
>         gives a more cohesive, almost sacrilegious appearance.

My thoughts exactly.

>         I have to be extremely fussy here, but things that could be
>         improved with Who_GDM_015.png might include making the
>         background colour a little richer (but that's very debatable, as
>         with the text/logo arrangement).

Yeah (as I said above). If that were the case, then I would prefer it
over 11.

>         Also lightening both the shine and the shadow on the black text
>         slightly, and making the colours in the logo more contrasting
>         would improve the overall balance. All these things work fine
>         against the dark backgrounds of the other GDMs, but some slight
>         adjustments are needed for the light.

Again; I completely agree. Are you stealing my thoughts?

>         The 'Session' and 'Options' text should also be moved up a
>         little from the edge of the box, maybe halfway between the
>         textbox and the edge. Another stylish option for this would be
>         to have small buttons that go right to the bottom edge instead
>         of just text. Also the rings in the background should definitely
>         be centered in relation to the screen.

I also think the text should be moved up (maybe also a little larger).
However, I don't agree that buttons would be a good addition.

>         Your artwork is very wonderful, and is second only to Jmak's on
>         my list :D.

Sorry, JMak, but I think I prefer Who's.

> I tried to have a bit of a play in Inkscape earlier, and I'm afraid my
> skills are heavily lacking in comparison to the other Ubuntu artists. I
> wish I could provide more than constructive critique, but for now it's
> just that and making adjustments to other people's art to experiment.

My situation too. I'm happy to criticise though! :)