[ubuntu-art] Announcing: Fonty Python - TTF Font manager for Gnu/Linux

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 22:28:49 BST 2006

Greeting,
I am new to the list. I hope to contribute with this little app I just
finished. It's Free and under the GPL. Read on.

I am a designer and I missed the ability to view fonts, sort them into
collections and install/remove those collections. I had to scratch the itch
and as I was learning Python and wxPython, I thought "what the heck!"

With Fonty Python you can select ttf fonts and put them into "pogs" (from the
word typography). You can place fonts into pogs from a folder or from another
pog. You then install the pog you need. After that, you fire-up Inkscape (or
Gimp, or Sodipodi, or Blender etc)  and those fonts *should* appear in the
font dialogue. Do your design, and when you are done and don't need them
anymore, you simply remove the pog! It will be there for next time.

It helps to keep fonts organized per project/client/job. It also help
keep "font clutter" out of the various font choosers.

If you are interested in trying it out, you can get it from:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython

I am still "moving" into the Savannah website, I hope to have a short manual
and so forth in the near future. The tarball (the download file) contains a
README that you should consult.
I have registered on Launchpad too, but it's hosted at Savannah (FSF)

Please let me know your experiences with it. I apologise in advance if it
melts your CPU, insults your toaster and then electrocutes you :)

Donn.
( South Africa )
https://launchpad.net/people/donn-ingle