[ubuntu-art] Workflow management

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon Sep 11 18:55:47 BST 2006

Michiel Sikma wrote:
> MediaWiki keeps revision histories of _everything_, including images.
> You can jump back to old revisions of images for comparison.
>
> Not that this makes it a perfect CMS for artwork collaboration,
> though...

I've looked into this quite a bit in the past. It's a very difficult
thing to find. Most DMS (document management systems) target very
high-end users who need to manage documents/media for 50 years. Popular
with the likes of Boeing and NASA and Phizor etc.

There was a brief conversation on the matter in IRC. A product was
suggested a while back which used Drupal with the Gallery2 plugin. For
our needs, this is fundamentally no different than gallery2 on its own,
since we don't need CMS features (just image colaboration because wiki
provides avenue for content).

The Gallery2 project is foss, mature and very active. The only thing it
doesn't provide is versioning for images, but its plugin system is very
powerful and this could be added.

The installation is easy, and I've got it setup. However the server is
having a problem because of a reverse DNS issue (e-mails are being
selective ignored by strict mail servers).

Here's the gallery2 main website: http://gallery.menalto.com  Here's
where I've placed my quick test: http://art-staging.ubuntu.com/gallery2

I've used and hacked gallery for years, but I'll admit, this newer
version has added a lot of stuff and I've not got it all figured out yet.

If there are a few enterprising souls out there who want to try it out,
please, be my guest. I'm working on the rdns/mailserver issue now. If it
turns out gallery2 isn't suitable, we'll trash it and find something
better. But since its free and we have the server all ready, might as
well give it a try.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode