[ubuntu-art] Availability for work...

Trae McCombs traemccombs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 03:35:42 BST 2006

Hello everyone,

I've signed up to the mailing list, and am interested in helping.  I can
probably put in about 5hrs a week right now, maybe more later on things.  If
someone is the current Project Manager (Troy?) for Ubuntu-Art, I'm open for
direction on what to do.  Feel free to give me a small task and I'll do my
best to get it completed.

I realize we are at the dawn of Edgy's release and Fawn is a ways away, but
I figured now is the time to get involved to help things out for the next
release and future releases.

Here's a mockup of a website theme I've done. It should give you a taste of
my idea of style.  I've not yet had a chance to actually implement it as a
web design:

http://occy.net/tmp/themes.net-FINAL-3.png

I've been doing a lot of client work for the past 2 years and haven't had
much time to design anything I liked.  Clients, as a lot of you know, want
what they want.  I'm probably going to build up my themes.net site as a
Drupal Theme contracting site for me personally to use.  [Small time stuff,
but great domain, I might as well use it ;) ]

At any rate, I'd love to play a bigger role in things as I get time.  My
ultimate ambition would be to actually be the Art Director for Ubuntu, or
the person who has the ultimate vision for the Desktop.  Even if that
doesn't happen, I'd like to see Ubuntu succeed.  Whoever has been handling
things recently has done a great job from what I've seen with Beta and the
RC's.  So if I don't get the "top dog" job, at least I'll know Ubuntu is in
great hands ;)  I simply want to be a part of the magic.

My biggest thing is, There needs to be a single person with a vision for
where Ubuntu goes.  Design by committee doesn't work.  Whoever is driving
the boat, should never compromise on his or her ideas and goals.  And we, as
a supporting group should be the people to help make that vision come to
life.

Consider this email as me tossing my hat into the ring to either be in a
Leadership role, or a Supportive role.  Either way, I want Ubuntu to
succeed!

Cheers,
Trae

PS. I'm on #ubuntu-art as Trae, hope to see you all there!
--
    Trae McCombs || http://occy.net/
  Founder - Themes.org // Linux.com