[ubuntu-art] questions about building art pacakges....

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 20 17:49:27 BST 2006

Hello Matthew,

Am Freitag, den 20.10.2006, 08:36 -0400 schrieb Matthew Nicholson:
> another solution is obviously to create a seperate package to be
> installed with the system, but, once again, I need ot figure out
> how/where these thigns get set as defaults.

Doing this in a separate package would involve using dkpg-divert or
using nasty tricks.

The easiest thing you can do, if you just replace files is:

# get build dependencies
sudo apt-get install devscripts build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep ubuntu-artwork

# get the source of the last package
apt-get source ubuntu-artwork                 (in Dapper)

cd ubuntu-artwork-*
# replace all the files, but be sure to have the same names.
dch -i
# a new version number, plus some fancy changelog entry
debuild -us -uc
sudo debi

Voilà: you should now have a ubuntu-artwork_<something>.deb package
lying around, which you can install and give to others.

This is the simplest case, everything else requires more mumbo-jumbo and
would probably not fit on this list. If you're interested in packaging,
join
      * #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net
      * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU and/or