[ubuntu-art] On the day it reverted...

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 05:53:40 BST 2006

> PS:  The design that ended up being in there has
> very little to do with my personal aesthetic.  I
> simply tried to take what I believed Ubuntu was
> based on its connotations, existing loose brown
> tone, and guesswork to devise _something_ that
> felt Ubuntu.  Again, without a clear design specification,
> colour palette, etc., it was all guesswork.
> Aesthetics aside, the design attempted to meet
> the loose specifications from the onset _and_
> correct some of the issues that I _personally_
> thought were present in Ubuntu's look.

Well said. And this is why I suggested before and do it again that
unless we set up a model of production process based on a model of a
graphic agency the kind of problems we are experiencing now, will
persist. If you have ever worked in a graphic agency or a printing
office you know that in these businesses, before an actual project
starts, all parameters are sketched out and written down right to the
smallest details; things like fonts, colors, (two colors, four colors,
spot colors), paper stock usage, the amount of images used, the basic
layout of the composition and so on. When the client agree to all the
conditions the contract is signed and the work begins. After that date
there is no changes possible (of course, minor adjustments can always
be incorporated).
The point is that in a  professional environment a project cannot be
based on guesswork. When the production starts designers have all the
necessary parameters right down to the smallest details that is
necessary to finish a  project successfully.
This is a time tested business scheme and I think we should adopt it
in the next development phase. Otherwise, we will end up again in this
last minutes chaotic rush that will satisfy no one.

Jmak
--
http://jozmak.googlepages.com/