[ubuntu-art] Reversion to Dapper Artwork

m c markc.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 12 19:45:05 BST 2006

On 10/12/06, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com> wrote:
>  No - unprofessional is missing all the agreed dates, and not pulling
> together as a team but instead having too many people pulling in too many
> directions.
>
>  Before you react - consider for a moment that the REST of the distribution
> does not run that way. It could never be the tight, focused thing that it is
> if it did. It's up to the art team to rise to the level of the rest of the
> distro, not simply to assume that release management processes apply less
> strictly in the artwork department.

Yes, but the rest of the distro is
a) based on thousands of peoples work which is pulled together by
b) a very experienced and [well :)] paid team of people using
c) an infrastruture designed, funded and implemented specifically for
this purpose
d) using the basic techniques derived from years of precedent in the
Free Software community

Your plan to produce community artwork, while not quite on the same
scale, lacks all of these things, especially precedent. Maybe you
didn't expect it to work out first time, and thats fine, but I
disagree with the decision to hide it rather than say, "this is what
we achieved this time" and let people see how much better the next
release is. I don't think you would want to release 'Warty Warthog'
again, because of the standards you are at now, but that didn't stop
you releasing it this time around.

Anyway, thanks for Ubuntu and being awesome.

Cheers,
Mark