[ubuntu-art] My opinion about Edgy artwork

fafek2.mailing fafek2.mailing at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:21:07 BST 2006

Hi,

First of all, wallpaper and sounds are really great, especially sounds
which fit Ubuntu distribution perfectly.
Really great work.

Unfortunetly, I have some notes.

Red captions on GDM with errors like "wrong username or password" look
very ugly. They don't look well and they're hardly visible.

Some icons don't match to others or they functions. For example, why
moving to trash icon have a shredding picture? Next examply is ugly
"Quit" button which looks like ol' Gnome-theme button.

The worst change is new usplash.
Linux users are used to watching useful informations about starting
services. Now, I don't know where my computer crashed (which on Edgy's
live-cd happens very often).

The picture looks bad. Simply, previous was better. Now, there is even
no distribution name.
Moreover, I can see some compression symptoms on biggest resolutions
(1280x1024 for example).
Now, some psychology information. If nothing on screen moves, there is
illusion - user thinks that some process takes more time.
He's bored and upset that he don't know what's happening.
User thinks "Oh, geez, progress bar stopped. What now?". After 15
seconds: "Oh, no I think my computer crashed" and he makes hard reset.
I know it from my own experience on a hibernation process example. It
takes about a minute and during this user see only a black screen. I
resetted my computer twice. Third time, I waited a little longer and, oh
my god, hibernation worked!

Regards,
Rafal Ryba
fafek2 at gmail.com