[ubuntu-art] New emblems are complete! (update)

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 19:37:29 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-10 at 19:02 +0100, Sean Hammond wrote:
> I noticed that the orange version of these icons has appeared in edgy.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd like to dissent on this decision.
> But they are all the same colour. I agree with the previous point
> about colour and form recognition.

From a structural vantage, the emblems should
indicate that an item is part of a set -- changing
the fundamental form / colour would detract from this
notion.

Since there are no equivalents in the real world:
 * Consider name tag stickers at a conference --
   all identical except for the label itself.
 * Encyclopedias exhibit the same aspects.
 * Warning symbols on commercial products too
   share this factor.

There are countless other items that would
credibly match this functionality.

Remember, the emblems pure function isn't to
be entirely distinct -- the icon should dictate
that.  Further still, by maintaining a fundamental
consistency across the emblems, you can elevate
user comprehension and usability once they learn
how to apply them properly.

Sincerely,
TJS