[ubuntu-art] getting face-browser visually inline with artwork-plans for feisty

Mirco Müller macslow at bangang.de
Thu Nov 30 14:05:58 GMT 2006

Greetings Chuck!

Am Mittwoch, den 29.11.2006, 21:07 -0800 schrieb Chuck Huber:

> As Troy mentioned, you'll have to speak with Mark about "any non-obvious
> things in the pipe". :(

	Ok. I've learned that Mark has the final word on what goes in and what
does not "visual appeal"-wise.

> I had a thought about your(or any) face chooser and concerns you raised
> at the bottom of your wiki page regarding security.  As an IT manager
> there are times that I don't want to give away ANY more information than
> I absolutely have to-- so a face chooser probably won't be a fit on
> every machine in any one organization.

	The face-browser can be disabled, of course. It's only new that is will
be enabled by default.

> That said, your design looks excellent and it would be a shame to let 1
> out of a 100 machines slow your progress.  Therefore would it be
> possible to have your face chooser put(non-scrolling) Ubuntu artwork in
> place of the faces via an option?  That way, managers can keep the same
> great aesthetics as typical desktop computers, but by selecting the
> "Turn off face browser" feature it can be used for servers.

	Hm... so do I get you right here... you suggest that in addition to
having the option to simply turn off the face-browser (thus using the
normal gdm-code which is in place already), it should offer mode of
operation using fall-back photos not revealing _any_ actual user-photos
(btw a fall-back photo will be used in the case of the face-browser
being enabled and some user not having provided a photo for the
face-browser)? If that's the case, this would be a bit odd and not make
much sense :)

Please explain your idea a bit more in detail.

Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

email - macslow at bangang.de
www - http://macslow.thepimp.net