[ubuntu-art] LAUNCHPAD: ArtworkTeam

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Mon May 29 16:05:56 BST 2006

Billy wrote:
> Deadlines and assignees will not be useful for 5 months. Got any
> examples of Teams using these features effectively that do not need
> the features? The art team doesn't need bug reporting tools, for
> example. Again, what features are useful for the ArtTeam?

Billy, you are completely underestimating the need for proper
organisation in order to FIX the artwork.

We have FANTASTIC talent in this team, but no organisation.

You need those features NOW not in the last week before a release.

The bug and spec tracking features of Launchpad are designed to let
everyone work together and keep a common list of what needs to be fixed.
In other words, they are designed to let people collaborate effectively.

You say that neither of these is needed "for five months". That is when
Edgy is doe to be released. That attitude is what causes a crunch just
before release when suddenly everyone wants lots of little things
changed but there is no clear list of what changes have been approved,
or agreed.

Specifications are DESIGNED to be used at the BEGINNING of the release
cycle. So everyone can see what is PLANNED. Then the team can coordinate
to deliver on those specs. For edgy, I will just ignore everyone who
sends in their own favourite artwork. That is not constructive. What is
constructive is to identify two or three clear, distinct theme styles,
and then build teams to polish those up slowly through the course of the
release ccle, with weekly uploads, to the point where they are really
classy by the time you get to release.

BUGS are your way to track problems that have occurred. They let you
know what things you are committed to fixing, and which you will not
fix. This is critical throughout the process, not just in the final week.

So - no more cavalier "let's just wing it" approach, OK?

Mark