[ubuntu-art] [was: ...lots of ranting!] Read this please

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Sat May 27 11:24:54 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:32 -0500, Billy wrote:
> > [...] I like the direction, and it is
> > distinct.  Anyone who learns _anything_ about a *nixlike environment
> > knows that you can customize it to your hearts content.  And that
> > comes without installing 1000000s of after-market tools.
> >
> > 99.9999999% of the desktop users who come to check it out will
> > NOT be looking for alternate themes.  If they stay, they will.
> >
> > We need to be distinct.  We need to be focused.
> >
> > To this end, we are.
> >
> > PS:  Knowledge dictates that a computer is not akin to a
> > car in any way.  It is art, literature, science, music, language,
> > society, and a host of other things.  We need to quit addressing
> > a computer like some sort of novelty gadget.
>
> Someone coming from Windows or mac hasn't learned anything of the nix
> env, so they don't know.
>
> Where did you get your percentage? It's way off!
>
> Now all of a sudden we're focused? That was fast!
>
> Your professed knowledge has nothing to do with what a coputer is to
> one person verses another. As someone that worked for the world's
> largest market research firm for 3 years, I thought it was a very good
> comparrison and one that goes without saying...but I said it anyway ;)

Guys, let's focus on what needs to be done, and to recap that:

* let's release dapper (ie. sit back and enjoy the fun)
* give it a week or so and then have a nice chat (see the agenda)
* try to refrain from coming up with so many new things at this point

The last point is linked in with my first and previous response to
Viper's first post to the list. Let's wait till things have cooled down,
tackle the issues currently being listed and discussed on the Meeting
Agenda.

Once we have fixed the leadership issue as well as covered the other
issues on the agenda we can then begin to organise ourselves and
cooperate in creating some awesome artwork for Edgy.

If we spontaneously create artwork by ourselves without discussing it's
necessity chances are efforts will be wasted and some people will become
discontent with the response.

So please keep the above mentioned points in mind and enjoy the weekend.
Thanks everyone,

Pascal