[ubuntu-art] My idea for Edgy (warning, lots of ranting!)

Viper550 gthompson at cogeco.ca
Fri May 26 12:29:37 BST 2006

Note, when it comes to changing themes for Edgy, we have no choice:
Let's listen to what Mark Shuttleworth said:

"The overarching theme of the first set of Ubuntu releases is
"Humanity". This drives our choice of artwork as much as our selection
of packages and decisions around the installer. Our default theme in the
first four releases of Ubuntu is called "Human", and it emphasises warm,
human colours - brown."

First set of releases is Warty to Dapper, Edgy begins "the next cycle".

"Our current plan is that the Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06 if we hit our
June 2006 release date goal) will be the last of this first "set" of
releases. So post-Dapper we have the opportunity to define a new "feel"
or overarching theme. It would be unlikely to be... blue. But it might
be substantially different to the current Human theme. For the moment,
let's stay focused on the road to Dapper, polish up the existing Human
theme to the max for that, and then break new ground post-Dapper."

There, what Mark said makes sense, you've been working VERY hard on
Dapper's Human theme, even going through the trouble of making your own
theme engine and FULL ICON SET! That's what I call polish to the max,
this is the last stand for Human, kinda like the X-Men (yes, I just had
to pull in a Pop-Culture reference). Human is going out with a bang, so
we have to make the Supernova here!

Viper550

p.s. But if we suddenly change to continue with Human, we can turn the
"5 Elements" thing into a new set of packaged custom themes for Edgy.