[ubuntu-art] My idea for Edgy (warning, lots of ranting!)

Billy Billy at cozyteapot.com
Fri May 26 08:34:19 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 11:03 +1000, Pascal Klein wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 14:38 -0400, Viper550 wrote:
> > Now that Dapper is behind us, I've got big plans and ideas for Edgy's
> > artwork, Originality is just one of them:
> >
> > We all know that the first "theme cycle" of Ubuntu is over. Dapper and
> > the Human Level is done with, so we need a new color scheme. My proposal
> > for the new color scheme of Edgy is what I like to call: Frozen.
> >
> > I know the following statement will also effect the future of Ubuntu,
> > but what I'd really like to see is the next Ubuntu themes to be based
> > off the 5 elements of Japanese philosophy. These 5 elements are Earth,
> > Water, Fire, Wind, and Void. Warty to Dapper have covered Earth (a.k.a.
> > Human), so the next item in the order of the elements would be Water.
> > But, Mark didn't go with blue by default because he wanted to
> > differentiate Ubuntu from the rest with a unique color scheme (Brown).
> > Going along with that, I decided to still go with Water...but in a
> > different form: Ice. Attached is my mockup of what this Frozen theme
> > would look like (using Ubuntulooks and Human Metacity).
> >
> > But, my goal for Edgy is to make an entire suite of ORIGINAL artwork to
> > be there by default. Except for the Ubuntulooks Engine (which should
> > stay, because we like it and all), I want every piece of artwork in Edgy
> > to be original, not based off anything, built from scratch. I've been
> > concerned that the Ubuntu installations have not had 100% original
> > Artwork. On the first version, we used Industrial and a theme based off
> > Glider, 5.04 at least used the ClearLooks engine, but still that
> > Metacity theme stayed! Now for Dapper, we do have an original Theme
> > engine (based off ClearLooks), we have a brand new original icon set
> > (built from scratch!), but now your "Human" metacity is based off
> > ClearLooks 2 Metacity. Why can't we have 100% original stuff?! And I can
> > even tell the difference between Human Metacity and ClearLooks 2
> > Metacity (slightly different buttons). Even worse, we had several GREAT
> > metacity suggestions on the wiki that we completely ignored!
> >
> > There, now that my rant is over, let me catch my breath...
> >
> > Viper550
> >

> We differ ourselves a lot from other distributions and one of the ways
> we intend to achieve that is through the desktop. Although we may
> disagree with the way the new Human icon set is currently being
> developed, or the themes and styles it uses and so on, we are going down
> one chosen path and that is a 'Human' feel.
>
> Not everyone likes the brown and orange tones or the new icon set but
> feedback has shown that the originality already expressed through the
> released artwork is good and generally people like it.
>
> The primary colours used, the styles and general feel of the Ubuntu
> desktop has been decided upon. We have an original theme, with an
> original icon set and changing that every second release is not what we
> plan to do.

> [...]

Yes, and the idea that there should be just primary colors is why ubuntu
art falls short of the mark. Do you have a second choice in Windows? Do
you have second choice in mac? I've said it many times. Why not linux?
Why not Ubuntu? People have repeatedly asked for it from Ubuntu's
beginning and everytime this 'Human' branding thing is stated.
Human/Ubuntu branding would not be lost by offering an alternative. It
would howerver give people a choice and Ubuntu is Linux above and before
everything else.

http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/devel/Human-Metathemes.png