[ubuntu-art] My idea for Edgy (warning, lots of ranting!)

Viper550 gthompson at cogeco.ca
Thu May 25 19:38:05 BST 2006

Now that Dapper is behind us, I've got big plans and ideas for Edgy's
artwork, Originality is just one of them:

We all know that the first "theme cycle" of Ubuntu is over. Dapper and
the Human Level is done with, so we need a new color scheme. My proposal
for the new color scheme of Edgy is what I like to call: Frozen.

I know the following statement will also effect the future of Ubuntu,
but what I'd really like to see is the next Ubuntu themes to be based
off the 5 elements of Japanese philosophy. These 5 elements are Earth,
Water, Fire, Wind, and Void. Warty to Dapper have covered Earth (a.k.a.
Human), so the next item in the order of the elements would be Water.
But, Mark didn't go with blue by default because he wanted to
differentiate Ubuntu from the rest with a unique color scheme (Brown).
Going along with that, I decided to still go with Water...but in a
different form: Ice. Attached is my mockup of what this Frozen theme
would look like (using Ubuntulooks and Human Metacity).

But, my goal for Edgy is to make an entire suite of ORIGINAL artwork to
be there by default. Except for the Ubuntulooks Engine (which should
stay, because we like it and all), I want every piece of artwork in Edgy
to be original, not based off anything, built from scratch. I've been
concerned that the Ubuntu installations have not had 100% original
Artwork. On the first version, we used Industrial and a theme based off
Glider, 5.04 at least used the ClearLooks engine, but still that
Metacity theme stayed! Now for Dapper, we do have an original Theme
engine (based off ClearLooks), we have a brand new original icon set
(built from scratch!), but now your "Human" metacity is based off
ClearLooks 2 Metacity. Why can't we have 100% original stuff?! And I can
even tell the difference between Human Metacity and ClearLooks 2
Metacity (slightly different buttons). Even worse, we had several GREAT
metacity suggestions on the wiki that we completely ignored!

There, now that my rant is over, let me catch my breath...

Viper550