[ubuntu-art] Suggestion: Orangify The Default Desktop

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Thu May 18 11:44:36 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 22:18 -0400, Lukas Sabota wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 05:15 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Lukas Sabota wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > > There are a few icons that are displayed on the default desktop.  I'll
> > > list them here:
> > > Applications
> > > Mozilla-Firefox
> > > Evolution
> > > Log out
> > > Show Desktop
> > > Trash
> > >
> > > My idea is to theme some of these icons orange.  Here is a suggestion
> > > for each of these:
> > > Applications - Already Orange
> > > Mozilla Firefox - Use the Human Internet orange globe.
> > > Evolution - Use an orange clock in the icon rather than a white one.
> > > Volume Control - Would fit fine how it is.
> > > Log out - Would fit fine how it is.
> > > Show Desktop - Perhaps orange corners could be used instead of the
> > > current blue ones.
> > > Trash - The trashcan has just recently been changed orange :)  No more
> > > battery!  This would fit fine.
> > >

> > I think it would be AWESOME if we could get some of the app icons to
> > fit better as a more cohesive Human / Tangerine oriented set.
> >
> > Mark

---

> Hello,
> 	I decided to actually do something instead of all this proposing :).  I
> feel that the most important icons to get to fit in the theme would be
> the ones that show on the desktop by default.  I did a little bit of
> inkscaping to the evolution-mail.svg icon, and made the red/maroon
> border of the clock orange.  One problem that I ran into was that I
> could not find a color palette for Human on the wiki.  Am I missing
> something?  I used colors that seem to fit, but more consistent colors
> could be used if I knew what the palette was.
> 	I'm attaching a portion of a screenshot with the default icons
> "Orangified".  The firefox icon has been replaced by the Internet
> category icon, and the evolution icon has been replaced with my new
> evolution icon.  Please reply with comments :)
>
> God bless,
> Lukas

I'm not too fond of this idea. Why do we need to change them?

Maybe it is just me but I think adding unnecessary orange to even
application icons would be too much orange for a desktop.

Finally I guess it would be a fair bit of work to run through all the
icons especially when there are not Human SVG icons.

Cheers,
Pascal