[ubuntu-art] Re: ubuntu-art Digest, Vol 11, Issue 46

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed May 17 15:53:32 BST 2006

Michiel Sikma wrote:
> I don't get why you would want that. All that happens with the scaling
> is the image being squished and then later stretched back to normal.
> The only effect would be a loss in quality; not a loss in proportions
> or composition. I don't see why you would want to maintain two versions.
There is only one version which counts, which is the 600x400 (or
whatever) FINAL IMAGE that gets baked into the .so file. The value of
having a (for example) 1024x768 version is to see what it will ACTUALLY
LOOK LIKE when the framebuffer expands it to fill the screen. That
expansion is "dumb" (there's no smoothing going on) so the example
large-format version should be scaled up with a "dumb" scaling algorithm
so it gives a realistic view.

Mark