[ubuntu-art] Uspash

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Fri May 12 22:02:09 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 22:48, Travis Watkins wrote:
> You can't do a non-black background, it won't look right on some
> systems because usplash doesn't fill the entire monitor. Using black
> makes it look like usplash controls the entire monitor instead of
> having it stick out as a tan island surrounded by black.

Is this on specific architectures or are you referring to TFTs (laptops) not
upscaling lower resolutions? Are there any numbers on the percentage of
systems which are affected by this?

I've experienced this using VMware when going fullscreen while booting, I
personally have no problems with the "tan island" phenomenon. Any splash
image is going to look distorted and tiny on those screens anyway, so it'll
only provide an extra clue to why the splash looks squashed.

I've yet to encounter desktop PC's which have CRTs or TFTs that do not
upscale, but I think I saw an HP laptop once which didn't upscale by default.
I'd say that more than 80% of desktops wouldn't be affected and that laptops
have a slightly lower chance, but of course my experience isn't statistical
evidence.

So basically I'm finding myself in a deadlock position now, and having two
questions: what do you think of the splash disregarding the "tan island"
phenomenon and is "tan island" a showstopper for polishing the splash?

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep