[ubuntu-art] Deadline for community art: May 15

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Mon May 8 01:53:24 BST 2006

Hello,

Considering the great job done for Tangerine, and the fact that it is
installed by default, we must offer a theme Human theme with
Tangerine. Current human with Tangerine is very nice. That might not
be considered as a full other theme.

I'm afraid about icons in ubuntu. The first thing i do on live or
installed system is changing icons to Tangerine. It's like a shame of
the ubuntu icons. I'm really afraid of those kind of reflex i usually
have on Windows such as install Firefox (this is the only things i do
with IE on Windows). Luckly, on Windows, power user are used to
install a bunch of stuffs like CrystalXP to have a decent desktop. I
fear switching to Tangerine will be the same.

Objectivly, Human icon theme have some important problem :
  - does not blend with Tang* icons mixed in.
  - tiny icons are far from readable. icons in 22x22 and below aren't
clean, especially those with label such as 'ftp', 'ssh', home, etc.
  - colours are inconsistent or even ugly (think to the green
accessories icon).

I'm disappointed that the great work of Tangerine lead to a so tiny
use. It's even annoying to have different palette of colours used for
icons : Tango palette for Tango and Tangerine, and Human. The only
one nice icon in Human is the directory, other are ugly.

Sorry, but dapper icon set isn't dapper. It's a mess.

Étienne, ubuntu disappointed but still ubuntu lover.