[ubuntu-art] Improper contrast in default theme?

Michiel Sikma omega at avalanchestudios.net
Sat May 6 22:09:21 BST 2006

Hi all. I've always thought that the top bar of the default theme for
Dapper looked a bit bright. I decided to throw the background color (the
average of the gradient is #d5924c) into the Color Contrast Analyser and
it came up with this:

"The difference in brightness between the two colours is not sufficient.
The threshold is 125, and the result of the foreground and background
colours is 96."

I kind of agree that the difference is just a little too small. I'm not
sure if this theme is still in a state of development, but I'd like to
recommend a small change to the top header to try and make the title of
a window more legible:
http://omega.avalanchestudios.net/personal/dropbox/usplash/_ubuntu_contrastchange.png
(a screenshot from the Flight 7 wiki page with the top header of the
window at -23% brightness +19% contrast; the average color of the orange
part of the top header is now #c2701a).

Looking at it, it's actually a pretty big change. But really, I think
that at least it looks more readable this way. Maybe we could discuss
making a change into this direction.

Regards, Michiel