[ubuntu-art] Re: Default themes

bvc bvcmdk at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 08:01:41 BST 2006

Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com> wrote:           bvc wrote: How did we go from three to TWO?
  I'm talking about external themes (things that exist in the Gnome world, like Gorilla and Mist etc which are high quality but not part of the Ubuntu project). At the moment we have a couple of themes in there as options by default, but I think you guys could pick much better ones than the current list:

   - Clearlooks (this should stay, it's great)
   - Crux
   - Glider
   - Grand Canyon
   - Mist
   - Ocean Dream
   - Simple
   - Smokey Blue
   - Traditional

 Other than clearlooks, consider them all optional and figure out between you which TWO we should ship along with Human. Then we can have THREE community-contributed ones. If we can't actually get three community-contributed ubuntu ones, then pick THREE from Gnome-look.

 and
 How can we vote when there's only one commited theme (SandSkater)?
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/AdditionalThemes?highlight=%28theme%29
 ...and it isn't even close to being default quality IMO. Is the mist engine installed by default? I've had this install since warty-beta so I do not know.
  Ah, well, if we can't get more from u-art then we should just make sure we pick and ship the best of what is already out there. Can you guys organise that?

 Mark

 Thank you for clearing that up!.

The only one I think could be worthy of remaining in the list above is Glider (with a 1px trough border instead of 2px) but I think SmoothGnome is better (also with a 1px trough border instead of 2px).

Other than that it is hard for me to make any suggestions because of my bias in gnome themes. Since no one else will make any suggestions, I will go ahead and be bias and suggest something of mine from the smooth-engine.

Smooth Blended
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35841
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/35841-1.png
these look good with the BlendedSmallSquare metacity theme, as seen in the screenshots above
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35277
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/35277-1.jpg

Smooth-Pastel (it also comes in flat)
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35727
screenshots
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/35727-1.jpg
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/35727-2.jpg

Something from Smooth9 (which also has a metacity theme)
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=34670
screenshots
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/34670-1.png
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/34670-2.png

I also have some simple, color mods of the Simple theme to ditch the blue and the white menuitem. They use the thinice engine, which is very light and fast.

Some of the current themes are pixmap so if that is an option there's the current popular Candido
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35812
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/35812-2.jpg
which I personally can't use because of the lack of contrast but people seem to like it a lot.

Gentle was suggested on the wiki's additional themes but I'd need to do some touchup on it, which is no problem at all.
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=35516
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/35516-2.png

Other pixmap themes could be(though I have never used them except to check them out);
VistaBut
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=32227
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/32227-1.jpg

PlatinUm
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=33112
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/33112-1.png

For metacity themes I'll again be bias and suggest;
Unity
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=32167
screenshots
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/32167-1.png
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre2/32167-2.png

SystemGXF
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=32169
screenshot
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/pre1/32169-1.png

I won't make any excuses for my bias since no one else has commented and since I have spent a lot of time trying to ensure that everything works as it should in my themes, which is usually not the case.