[ubuntu-art] Icons are alarmingly orange

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 17:39:20 BST 2006

The orange theme is happy, and has really improved in the last weeks. Nice.

The icons, however, are just *screaming* at me. They feel like hurry-up
traffic-lights! Especially the ones with a special label, like your
homefolder, an ssh-share, etcetera. The orange tone is just very hard.
This also goes for progress-bars, which should be informing, not alarming.

The selection tone, on the other hand, is subtle (and is allowed to draw
more attention). The metacity-top is not distracting, nice.

See this screenshot:
	http://librarian.launchpad.net/1902725/orange-icons.png

I suggest making the orange a bit gentler, especially the bottom part of
the folder icons. For example, make it more like the savedSearch icon in
the screenshot.

Also, the label for ssh-shares and ftp-shares don't match the label for
ogg-stuff. It could be just as well a label in another color, to make
the icons match the others, and still *subtly* stand out (grey, even
dark grey, is more subtle than that particular orange ;))

What do you think?

(I don't know how much the icons in particular are already discussed. I
opened a bug report on
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-artwork/+bug/37494 )

Thanks,
Eric