[ubuntu-art] Proposal: Tangerine Icon Theme

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Thu Mar 16 10:40:59 GMT 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:50:03 +0000
Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Thanks to Daniel's great work you can see the current progress and
> priorities of the Human theme, and how it looks next to the Tango and
> GnomeDefault icon themes. We will make sure that icons which Dave has
> published will move quickly into the Human theme so you can always see
> the latest work.
>
> I am writing to propose the creation of "Tangerine", a completely
> community-contributed and owned theme which would sit between Human and
> Tango in the theme order list. This would mean that icons which are NOT
> in Human but ARE in Tangerine would appear in preference to Tango or
> GnomeDefault icons.

I  like this proposal, beginning with the naming; very creative. :)

> Tangerine would start out with a selection of Tango and GnomeDefault
> icons. If you see the current icon priority page has comments on the
> right hand bar, and many of them say "Use Gnome" or "Use Tango". That's
> my own personal selection as to which of the Gnome or Tango icons I
> think would look better given that we won't have time to create our own.
>
> Tangerine would be managed by the community as follows:
>
>  - one person will be selected by the community to be the Tangerine Lead
>  - up to three people will get direct write access to the repository
>  - the rest of the community would contribute icons to those core theme
> writers, who would choose which icons go into Tangerine, using your own
> community processes
>
> The core theme guys would use BZR (www.bazaar-vcs.org) to manage a tree.
> They would only have to put PNG and SVG icons into the correct slots
> using the Freedesktop.org icon naming system. The package will be built
> automatically, and installed on the icon priority server, so we can
> track updates there on an hourly basis. On a weekly basis, we will
> upload Tangerine and Human to the main distro, so we can get broader
> community feedback.
>
> So.
>
> We need one person to volunteer to coordinate Tangerine, and a few more
> to be willing to learn bzr get, bzr merge and bzr push.
>
> Pascal, will you coordinate the selection process for the leader and
> writers?

Yea, sure. It seems that Andreas has stepped forward already, and I
think he definitely fits the role. As for writers/contributors to this
package, I'd actually like to add myself to it. This idea seems better
and more enticing to me personally than an Official Tango package, at
least for now. We could integrate some of the work already for the
official package to this one, changing anything necessary.

So, how does that sound? Drop the official tango package, unless
someone else wishes to take it up and work on this? I think it would be
better to have one complete, consistent and polished theme as apposed
to several incomplete ones. :)

> Mark

cheers,
klepas