[ubuntu-art] Proposal: Tangerine Icon Theme

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Mar 15 16:15:13 GMT 2006

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> Tangerine would be managed by the community as follows:
>>
>>  - one person will be selected by the community to be the Tangerine Lead
>>  - up to three people will get direct write access to the repository
>>  - the rest of the community would contribute icons to those core
>> theme writers, who would choose which icons go into Tangerine, using
>> your own community processes
>>
> Hello Mark!
> I can step up and maintain this, and I bet I have lapo with me on
> this, however there are some problems.
OK, thanks for volunteering! I'm happy to make you preliminary leader of
Tangerine to work with Daniel Holbach in setting up the theme skeleton
and the packaging, and the revision control processes.

I say "preliminary" because the Art Team needs to select the leaders of
subprojects like Tangerine and the major community-contributed themes.
And the Community Council needs to appoint a leadership structure for
the art team. So let's go ahead if you are comfortable getting that
process completed and confirmed over the coming weeks.

> Gnome-icon-theme is licensed under GPL, while Tango is licensed under
> CC-SA and I'm not sure it is legally possible to create a theme with a
> mishmash of licenses. It would probably be possible to keep the themes
> in separate packages, delete icons like stock-save in tango and
> tangofy that icon in gnome-icon-theme (and as tango depend on g-i-t it
> would fall back to that and it would use the one from g-i-t). I'm not
> sure that is a good solution though.
We have a different position on the legalities. We believe it is OK to
produce a theme that has icons under multiple licences, as long as the
licences file clearly identifies which icon is under which licences. In
other words, we believe the icons are individual pieces of work.

So, we will start with Tangerine including existing icons from Tango and
GIT, carefully identified, and also welcome contributions from the
community under (your) direction to fill that out.

The best community icons, if they meet the standards for Human, will go
into Human as well as Tangerine.
> It would be nice to have some more info on why some icons in human or
> gnome was chosen instead of the tango ones, so that we either can fix
> this upstream or fix tango in dapper to use some better metaphors/styles.
Hard to describe taste issues, I'm not an expert and don't have too much
time for it. Have just gone through an iterative process with the Human
theme to get to something I and some others really like, and are now
trying to expand that theme to cover the core parts of the desktop.

In due course I would like to document the style guidelines.

I think they look OK when mixed with Tango, except that the Tango
palette is rather blue.

Mark