[ubuntu-art] Proposal: Tangerine Icon Theme

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Tue Mar 14 11:50:03 GMT 2006

Hi folks

Thanks to Daniel's great work you can see the current progress and
priorities of the Human theme, and how it looks next to the Tango and
GnomeDefault icon themes. We will make sure that icons which Dave has
published will move quickly into the Human theme so you can always see
the latest work.

I am writing to propose the creation of "Tangerine", a completely
community-contributed and owned theme which would sit between Human and
Tango in the theme order list. This would mean that icons which are NOT
in Human but ARE in Tangerine would appear in preference to Tango or
GnomeDefault icons.

Tangerine would start out with a selection of Tango and GnomeDefault
icons. If you see the current icon priority page has comments on the
right hand bar, and many of them say "Use Gnome" or "Use Tango". That's
my own personal selection as to which of the Gnome or Tango icons I
think would look better given that we won't have time to create our own.

Tangerine would be managed by the community as follows:

 - one person will be selected by the community to be the Tangerine Lead
 - up to three people will get direct write access to the repository
 - the rest of the community would contribute icons to those core theme
writers, who would choose which icons go into Tangerine, using your own
community processes

The core theme guys would use BZR (www.bazaar-vcs.org) to manage a tree.
They would only have to put PNG and SVG icons into the correct slots
using the Freedesktop.org icon naming system. The package will be built
automatically, and installed on the icon priority server, so we can
track updates there on an hourly basis. On a weekly basis, we will
upload Tangerine and Human to the main distro, so we can get broader
community feedback.

So.

We need one person to volunteer to coordinate Tangerine, and a few more
to be willing to learn bzr get, bzr merge and bzr push.

Pascal, will you coordinate the selection process for the leader and
writers?

Mark