[ubuntu-art] Icon plan for Dapper

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Mar 8 16:36:48 GMT 2006

Hi guys

Just an update on the state of icons for Dapper.

 1. Dave is making good progress on the new icon set. The set will not
be complete by the time Dapper ships. We are going for the most visible
icons first, and Jeff Waugh has the priority list for Dave. We hope to
stretch to include all the icons that are very commonly seen on Ubuntu.

 2. The style guide of these new icons is not Tango, but it is
relatively close, and Tango will make a good fallback icon theme for
Dapper. However, the Tango core palette is blue, and ours is Human, so
we would really like to call for help on converting Tango icons to this
Human palette (which uses warmer, brown, yellow and orange colours
extensively).

We will shortly publish a page which lists the icons that we would like
to get into the Human palette from Tango, but which are not going to be
able to be done in the full new Human style, and contributions towards
getting those done would be hugely appreciated. Lapo and others have
shown that it's possible to get quite a bit done in short time!

We are looking to have new GTK and Icon theme packages shortly, so that
it's possible to see how this all fits together.

Mark