[ubuntu-art] Themes for polishing

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 4 13:04:29 GMT 2006

On 3/4/06, Pascal Klein <4pascal at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:01:19 -0600
> "Matthew Nuzum" <mattnuzum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 3/2/06, Pascal Klein <4pascal at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> to get
> > > >

> > Pascal,
> >
> > I will not be able to attend the meeting this weekend, but let me
> > contribute some food for thought.
> >
> > The art-list until now has been a place where people tossed out ideas
> > and art they have done. This is fine, but if the goal is to get art
> > into Universe so that it can be considered for inclusion into main,
> > maybe there should be a discussion as to what the decision makers want
> > to see.
> >
> > It is much easier to hit the target when you can see the target.
> > Blindly shooting arrows into the sky may result in a direct hit, but
> > it's not likely. I'm still using Breezy and Hoary, so I can't see what
> > graphical elements have been proposed for Dapper and therefore can't
> > make direct suggestions, but here is what might be asked and therefore
> > decided upon:
> >
> >  - what colors should be used?
> >   - is there a theme that should underlie the artwork? (for example,
> > when RH released blue curve, there was a definite theme and coherency
> > to the artwork)
> >  - what are our greatest needs?
> >  - the difference between a slick, polished, enterprise grade
> > application and something that looks like it was hobbled together is
> > the attention to detail. Therefore, identify areas of the interface
> > that look 'fine' or 'not bad' but don't have the professional 'shine'
> > that we want to be represented in the Linux community for the next 5
> > years (the expected support life span of dapper).
> >
> > Dapper is going to be around a while, and if anyone on the art-list
> > wants to be relevant to the upcoming project, they need to think
> > long-term when they think about this release.
> >
> > Five years from now there will be people saying, "Well... it's about
> > time we upgrade those old Dapper computers..." Their thoughts about
> > the look and feel could be one of the following:
> >  - "Remember when these came out? They really set the bar for the next
> > few generations of desktops."
> > or
> >  - "Wow, can you believe someone thought this looked good?"
> >
> > This weekend's meeting can decide what people will be saying when that
> > day comes.
> > --
> > Matthew Nuzum
> > www.bearfruit.org
> >

> Very true. I think a wiki page for this would be good. I'll add it to
> my to-do. :) I'd very much appreciate any input anyone could supply in
> regard to Matthew's ideas especially for the wiki page.
>
> Cheers.

Pascal,
What sort of thing were you expecting that the wikipage would cover - could
we add something to the additional themes page (which people are using now!)

I can add some details about what needs to be decided on for a theme - I
thought maybe making an 'Addirional theme template' that people had to fill
in for a theme (one for each of the three themes we decide on) would force
people to think about all the aspects Mathew talked about (eg colour, bg,
gdm etc...)

See you all in IRC - this will be my first time, so go easy :P