[ubuntu-art] usplash improvements

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 25 14:37:36 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 09:10 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2006, at 11:32 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Michiel Sikma wrote:
> >> It seems that a bunch of specs have been changed into "obsolete"
> >> because apparently a new usplash is in the making. Exactly what
> >> will the capabilities of this new usplash be? Is there any place
> >> where I can follow its development or learn about Edgy planned
> >> features? I'm interested in doing usplash artwork so I would like
> >> to make a draft that makes use of the new capabilities.
> >
> I must say that I agree with this. Having a nicer boot image is nice,
> but it's nowhere near as important as suspend.
> Can't wait to hear about the new capabilities of usplash, then.
The principal capabilities of the new usplash are just in theming; the
theme .so file exports a structure which allows things like progress bar
locations, text box locations, colours, etc. to be set.  The theme also
allows changing of font.

I suspect the final edgy usplash theme will include the drawing commands
for the "throbber" and "progress bar", so that those can be drawn with
custom detail if desired.

Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com