[ubuntu-art] [Ponder] Fyre textures

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Wed Jun 28 10:46:03 BST 2006

Op 28-jun-2006, om 11:33 heeft Who het volgende geschreven:

>> I'd still like to experiment with this. It could be a very nice
>> addition to the stuff I've already made, although I doubt whether it
>> would be suitable on its own. The images that I've seen thus far,
>> however, are very small and aliased, though. Maybe that can be solved
>> simply by making a gigantic texture and then downscaling it.
>>
>> Michiel
>
> Indeed it can,
>
> In fact, Fyre can oversample, but with a 1600x1200 texture (I just
> took these out from images I was making as a desktop) on my computer
> it takes a _long_ time. I was getting all excited, and we're not even
> at the 'back of a napkin' style suggestions stage so I just submitted
> what I had :P
>
> It's worth noting that outputs from Fyre normally look a *lot* better
> after some carefull gimping (/photoshopping, I don't care what you use
> :P) - I don't really know whether that means we need to work at a
> higher res and scale down...

I'll try this out when I get home tonight. I prefer working on super
high resolutions to ensure that whatever finished product I'll come
up with will look nicely anti-aliased when it reaches its final
destination. I guess this is the way to go if Fyre can't properly
anti-alias by itself, but that would be a pain in case the generated
image is _always_ random, since then an hour-long rendering might not
give the desired result afterall.

Michiel