[ubuntu-art] Icon discussion

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Tue Jun 20 15:23:17 BST 2006

Let's open up this discussion again with Edgy in mind. There are
currently two viable sets that can be used: the Human set and the
Tangerine/Tango set.

The Human set was used in Dapper with Tango being an optional choice.
A lot of discussion preceded this choice. We must ask ourselves: what
are the rationale for usage of either icon theme? What are the pros
and cons of Human and Tangerine/Tango?

Comparison of the icon styles:

http://xoomer.alice.it/bat/orango-tango/side-by-side.png

It's true that both of the icon sets are very good indeed and
definitely worthy of being a default icon set, quality-wise, and this
is what makes it difficult to make a choice. Let's decide for
ourselves what we feel are the advantages and disadvantages would be:

(Note: this is an incomplete list; send mails to suggest other reasons.)

Advantages of Human:
- Original icon theme
- Ubuntu is the only distro to use the Human icons (thus far)
- Created with the Ubuntu distro feeling and visual representation in
mind

Advantages of Tangerine/Tango:
- Tango is rapidly gaining popularity; Tangerine ensures consistency
with future non-Ubuntu applications and icons
- SVG versions of every icon are available
- Arguably developed using a more open process
- Strictly follows a set of standards and guidelines

There are some things I'm unsure of about Human. I feel as though its
development is mostly closed due to it being created by a
professional team, but if I'm wrong about this, then please notify me
how one could contribute to the Human theme.

This discussion is meant for brainstorming material for Edgy.

Michiel