[ubuntu-art] Updated Cursor

Chuck Huber chuck at lagunadata.com
Tue Jun 20 08:36:26 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 08:18 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
> Chuck Huber wrote:
> > Checking around I found both Neutral and Polar have newer versions which
> > further add to their polish.  An updated screenshot is below.
> >
> > http://lagunadata.com/staging/buntu_art/cursor_comp2.png
>
> I still don't really see many actual improvements. The Polar cursor is
> awful, from my point of view, because of the gradient and the
> unconventional shape. It looks pretty cool as alternate cursor set, but
> definitely not as the default one. The differences between Neutral and
> Jimmac's set are also minimal, with the exception of the Neutral cursors
> being inverted. I like the waiting cursor of Jimmac more because it has
> a background (and a good amount of padding).

OK.  I guess you don't agree with me, not everyone will.  Keep in mind
the screenshot only has 4 icons and many others such as the pointing
hand have more obvious improvements.

Though I'm a HUGE fan of jammac's icons in general the cursors are just
not my favorite anymore.  At first I almost didn't try Polar because,
like you mentioned, they are a bit different both in size and appearance
but I'm glad I did.  Within 5 mins I realized they offer a sharpness and
crispness that no other cursor set has been able to convey.  Instead of
having less control, *I feel* I have more.  To me that is the ultimate
test of a cursor.

Now I've been using these for about a year and going back to the
perfectly OK jimmac cursors seems a bit awkward due to the smaller than
optimal size, which is important on large displays, and their rather
flat appearance.  Of course, ymmv, but there you have my experience.

--
Chuck Huber <chuck at lagunadata.com>