[ubuntu-art] Re: More Rough Sketches

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Fri Jul 28 20:40:28 BST 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:46:43 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

>> Palette shifting wasn't CPU-intensive on a 33 MHz i486, so it probably
>> wouldn't even be noticeable on any hardware that can run an Ubuntu
>> desktop.  Also, it's not dependent on the size of the logo.
>
> I did some early experiments with it a while ago with a fullscreen
> changing screen and it wasn't the fastest in the world. Probably due to
> the fact that it was a 2 minute hack though ;)

The speed can differ a lot on two similar CPU's. My guess is that some
videocards use palette-emulation, which means that they always display a
true-color image. In that case, palette-shifting would require quite some
processing.

--
Regards, Robert                                        http://www.arumes.com