[ubuntu-art] Buttons for the Support Section of the Ubuntu website

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:45:42 BST 2006

Troy James Sobotka wrote:
> I know time is limited for everyone, but contributions
> to other teams comprise a good portion of our
> responsibilities.  Please try to take some time and
> propose, even if it is only in sketch form.

Thanks! Any help with this is greatly appreciated it!
> I have attached two simple pngs (which were derived from
> SVG's so changing the colours and text is very simple).
> I apologize for the distinct lack of output, but family
> and work are my weekly routine.

No need to apologize, any time that you spend on Ubuntu is a win for all
of us.

> The samples certainly aren't terrific by any stretch, but they
> are only intended as a starting point.  One is simple,
> one is busier.  At the time of this writing, Who offered
> up a selection as well.  Hopefully that will give you
> a good starting point for further discussion.

Both yours and Who's ("whose" ?) are good. But as our original idea was
to have big, clickable buttons instead of headers for each section,
Who's are both a little small and doesn't look quite clickable enough.

Of the two suggestions from Troy, the latter (rect2866.png) is simply
too big. I put in on the mockup with the rest of them, and having four
of them next to each other will simply take up too much room. I do like
the soft ceramic elements in it, though. It adds depth to the image and
again makes it look more clickable.

The other image (rect2864.png) is just about the right size. I don't
think the text necessarily should be so big, or in the standard ubuntu
lettering - but the size is about right, and will make it possible to
fit 3 or even all 4 onto a single page without having to scroll very much.

One danger is that the dark-reddish colours are don't quite fit the
current light-brown look of the website. I think the first of the four
buttons should match the top navigation bar of ubuntu.com to some
degree, and that the buttons can get progressively darker and redder
from there.

> Pick a direction, Andreas, and perhaps our team
> can produce further focused output.

Of the current crop of mockups, I think perhaps the top half of
rect2866.png would fit the bill best. I cropped it so that the best
features of what I discussed above is present:
- the size
- the ceramic depth and "clickability"
- the colours which aren't too dark (though they can still be tweaked to
better fit with the webpage design)
- the text is in the bottom of the button which leads the reader to
connect it with the description text below (though the font is still the
standard ubuntu one. I would like to call for some experimentation with
the fonts as well).

I've added the current mockup buttons to the mockup wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/SupportSection (over halfway down) and
attached the cropped image discussed above.

I look forward to see what you guys will come up with!

Cheers,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/people/lloydinho