[ubuntu-art] Buttons for the Support Section of the Ubuntu website

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:27:45 BST 2006

Hi good artwork people!

I've just recently joined the list and have been very impressed with the
work that you're producing, so I wondered if you'd be interested in
trying for little job for the Ubuntu Website.

On the Doc Team mailing list, we have been discussing the layout of the
Community Support page [http://www.ubuntu.com/support/free] and we want
to reorganize the page to make the individual support options stand out
more and look more 'clickable'
[https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-July/006802.html]

I've done a wiki mockup of how the reorganized page in the wiki
[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/SupportSection - scroll down to get to
the Community Docs section], and I've ended up with a need for 4 buttons
to lead to the individual Support Options. They are:

*- Community Support Chat [Button]* (links to
irc://irc.freenode.net/6667/ubuntu (or some such))

*- Web Forums [Button]* (links to www.ubuntuforums.org)

*- Mailing lists [Button]* (links
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users)

*- Launchpad Support Tracker [Button]* (links to
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+tickets)

The main qualities of the buttons should be:

a) they should look clickable, that means using 3d effects and subtle
shading to give the buttons depth (inspiration here:
http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/3d_effects.cfm)

b) they should all be the same size.

c) they should match each other as a complete set but have clear
differences to set them apart. Colours, icons or attributes of what it
is linking to would be nice.

d) they contain the text given above (Community Support Chat, Web
Forums, Mailing Lists, Launchpad Support Tracker), though this is
negotiable if it turns out to be too difficult to do in keeping with
points b and c.

e) they should match the current design of the website, specifically
this page: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/free.

e) It would be even cooler if you could make them fit with whatever
glassy ideas that you're working with for Edgy. I'm sure that  for
instance Who's login splashes
[http://mailforwho.googlepages.com/Lsplash_Who.jpg] could be adapted to
fit (though at maybe quarter the size).

I hope this catches your interest. The Community Support page is linked
to directly from the System Help menu, so it will get a lot of
attention. I'm sure that a lot of people will be clicking these. :-)

Cheers,
Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/people/lloydinho