[ubuntu-art] Re: LAST CALL: Art Council Applications 3/3

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Jul 19 12:16:51 BST 2006

Matthew East wrote:
> 1. The Art Council should not be responsible for granting Ubuntu
> membership, because the risk is that the community won't get to know new
>  members or hear about good work being done in the art area, and there
> is a risk of less consistency in membership appointments.
The CC will only delegate membership granting to the Arts Council (or
any other team) if it has confidence in their understanding of the
criteria and judgement, and if they commit to reporting up to the CC the
results and rationale for their membership approvals.

> 2. Most decisions should be taken by the whole art team, while decisions
> which are contentious can be taken by the Art Council. I think this is
> important to ensure that everyone in the team plays a role in the
> direction of the team and to ensure that important new contributors who
> do not sit on the Art Council can participate fully.
The Art Council is mainly a policy body. Actual buck-stops-here art
decisions are shared by the artist-in-chief for the release (ubuntu,
kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu) and in some cases those AIC's are
accountable to Canonical (me, or some future art director).

Mark