[ubuntu-art] Wiki homepage suggestion

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Tue Jul 11 20:07:49 BST 2006

My great fear is that there are people who are eager to find a way to
contribute to Ubuntu but don't feel like they have anything to offer
relating to the current specs.

Worse yet, I suspect some people subscribe to this list thinking that it
is a place to create desktop wallpapers or talk about their favorite
image editor. (this is worse because they quickly become disenfranchised
when their expectations are let down)

I think the wiki homepage could do a better job of explaining what the
art-team's purpose in life is, and that its process is orderly and
directed through the use of specs on launchpad.

Below is an incomplete draft proposing the change to the homepage. I
would simply complete it and post it, except I really have a few tasks
that I must get done today and could use some suggestions on how to
finish this off. Specifically, I want to encourage people to help out
with the specs, but if they can't then give them some other
opportunities to use their artistic talent.

I will make the following changes to the wiki tomorrow morning, so if
you have some comments, let me know. If you could help suggest links for
the blanks that would really be helpful.

The Ubuntu Artwork team exist to make the Ubuntu desktop ever more
usable and attractive. We do this through a formal process of creating
specifications. The next release of Ubuntu is code named Edgy Eft and
the specifications we are working on for this release can be found
________.

We would enjoy your help with the above tasks, but if you feel that your
talents and available time don't fit any of the above specs, please
consider the following art-related interests:
 * We always need help converting png icons to SVG and creating new SVG
icons. Learn more ______.
 * Art.ubuntu.com exists as an area where you can share photos,
wallpaper, themes and cursors. This is a busy website frequented by
community members and is a hub for artistic add-ons for the Ubuntu
desktop.
 * Ubuntu strives to be the leading distro for creating derivative linux
distributions. As such, a number of other art-teams exist. Learn more
about other art-teams ______.
 * A number of sub-projects and Ubuntu-related teams would like help
with website work. A good place to find information about helping out
with website related arwork is ________.

Please note we would greatly appreciate your help with our specs for the
next version, so if you have only enough time to help with one thing,
please see if you can contribute to the existing specs. This is an area
where you can have a profound and visible impact on what Ubuntu will
look like in the next version.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode