Fw: [ubuntu-art] new wallpaper

Chuck Huber chuck at lagunadata.com
Mon Jul 3 18:30:59 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:21 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Michiel Sikma wrote:
>

> > Op 30-jun-2006, om 17:47 heeft Troy James Sobotka het volgende
> > geschreven:
> >
> >> Huge can of worms.  We talked about this in Paris, and
> >> this is why I brought it up.
> >>
> >> I can tell you that 5:4 is pretty common as is 16:9.
> >
> > Yeah, you're right. Sorry. 5:4 (1280x1024) is commonly used as
> > well. I completely forgot that 5:4 is that resolution for a second.
> > 16:9, however, is only generally used for TV screens. There's just
> > one resolution that uses it, Wide XGA (1366×768), which is an
> > extremely uncommon resolution. 16:10 is the typical widescreen
> > resolution for computer monitors.
> >
> > Still, I think that up- or downscaling a wallpaper (made for 4:3)
> > without stretching or squishing it or changing the proportions in
> > any way will be fine in most cases. If we make sure that there's
> > nothing interesting at the borders of the image, we might as well
> > cut them off occasionally in order to support some resolutions nicely.
> >
> > Michiel
> > --
> >

> I've also been working on a wallpaper. It's coming along nicely, but
> the colors are too saturated to suit the theme for now.
>
> Here's a downscaled (50%) version of the work-in-progress: http://
> thingmajig.org/tmp/wall4(1juli06).jpg
>
> Michiel Sikma
> michiel at thingmajig.org

The /usr/share/backgrounds directory currently takes up 4.9 MB and there
are 5 "extra" wallpapers in there called space-01 through space-05.jpg.
Though small they scale well and take up very little space on the CD.

I'm sure we'll do more optimization in Edgy but since we are in the
exploration phase I thought I'd point out that Michiel's beautiful
design(above) stretches well and takes up 1/10 the space of the current
default paper.

If Edgy were to ship with optimized designs such this and the
space0x.jpg images, users theoretically could have 25 wallpapers to
choose from and we would still be able to give 2.5 MB back to the
developers!  This is obviously a best case scenario but I think you get
the idea...

Chuck